Sunday 9 December 2007

To be a motoring writer…

If you want to become a motoring writer you need certain qualities. The hide of a rhinoceros and the patience of a saint are probably foremost. More often than not you’ll have people saying “no” and, if you are lucky, “sorry” as you try to sell your ideas and work to editors. What you also need is an endless reserve of ideas that are both brilliant and simple. Driving a Ferrari down from the UK to Monaco to see the Grand Prix would make for a great feature but not simple. Unless you own one, you’ve got to borrow a Ferrari; you need tickets for the Grand Prix itself and hotel accommodation – unless you can somehow persuade someone else to pick up the tab.

Then again I’ve had the germ of an idea which could be brilliant but which does hinge on a co-operative press office. If I succeed it’ll be a first for me, it is nerve wracking but if you don’t try you never get anywhere. I’ll let you know how I get on.

No comments: