Wednesday 24 February 2010

Random things I love: Steampunk keyboard/computer

Once again, apologies for the lack of updates – blame the pressures of work, or my laziness, or the weather. Or whatever.

Anyway, I had to share this rather magnificent computer keyboard and Victorian-style PC. Which were brought to my attention by my mate Si.

There is something about the whole Steampunk aesthetic which I love. The care and craft that goes in to creating old-fashioned-looking versions of modern appliances shows that even mundane appliances can be turned into something approaching works of art. What is even more impressive is the way so much stuff is made using recycled parts – things reclaimed from the rubbish or charity shops. It shows that recycled does not have to mean ugly or low quality.

I also love the clothing style associated with Steampunk. There is something inside me that loves cravats, waistcoats, pocket watches and so-on.

I’m not sure I could adopt it as a lifestyle but it has definitely woken something in me.

No comments: