Friday 29 February 2008

Tyre stuff

Some of my friends consider me to have an unhealthy obsession with tyres. This is completely untrue; but as tyres are the only link between the car and the road it makes sense to understand something of their construction and characteristics. One thing I didn’t know was that the markings on new tyres can be used to tell you about a tyres tendency to run straight (known as run out). The rightmost or leftmost line indicates the run out and tyres should be fitted so that run out is equally balanced in opposite directions. Get it wrong and you could end up with steering that pulls to one side.

This information came from the Institute of Advanced Motorists. The suggestion is that, when buying tyres, you should look at the tyres before they’re fitted. I can’t recall ever being able to inspect tyres that closely but I’ll be more attentive in the future.

No comments: